VISION: To produce Tomorrows’ Leaders of Distinction in Knowledge, Skill and Character.
MISSION: Providing the Citizen with Good Quality Education in Partnership with Competent Teachers in a Conducive Teaching and Learning Environment.
VALUE STATEMENT/ MOTTO: Do it Right, Be the Best
In April 2005, the law that established the Post Primary Teaching Service Commission (PP-TESCOM) was abrogated and the subsisting Teaching Service Law was enacted with effect from July, 2005. The enactment of the law cited as Lagos State Gazette No 11, Vol.38 of 12th July, 2005 led to:
- The formal dissolution of the Post Primary Teaching Service Commission (PP-TESCOM) and decentralisation of its functions.
- Creation of Teachers’ Establishment and Pensions Office (TEPO).
- Creation of 6 (six) Education Districts and
- Appointment of Tutor-Generals/Permanent Secretaries to head each of the District
- Education District 1 comprises of 3 (three) zones namely Agege, Alimoso and Ifako/Ijaiye zones came to being. The District Headquarters is located at Dairy Farm Schools Complex, Ogba-Ijaiye Road, Agege.
The Education Teaching Service Reform of 2005 is to provide for:
- A decentralized effective management of school system in Lagos State.
- Enhancement of the career of Teachers in the Public Secondary Schools.
The Tutor-General/Permanent Secretary is the overall head of the District. He/She co-ordinates and supervised all the activities of all the secondary schools under his/her jurisdiction to ensure that the Lagos State Government Policy of Free and Qualitative Education for All is effectively and efficiently implemented.
The District has ninety-nine (99) schools comprising fifty-eight (58) Junior Schools and forty-one (41) Senior Schools including the first Inclusive Junior Secondary School in Agege.
So far, six (6) Tutor Generals/Permanent Secretaries have headed the District. However, the District along with five (5) others, officially took off on 1st September, 2005. The District Headquarters is located at Dairy Farm Schools’ Complex, Ogba-Ijaiye Road, Agege. The names of the Tutor-Generals/Permanent Secretaries who have steered the wheel of the District from inception to date are:
The District’s Headquarters comprises five (5) departments, namely:
- Administration and Human Resource
- Special Duties
- Schools Administration
- Co-corricular, Science and Technology
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF EDUCATION DISTRICT 1
- Provision of conducive learning environment that is beautiful, and well equipped with adequate school plants.
- Establishment of efficient and effective counseling services.
- Establishment of a functional quality control system that is operated by academically qualified and professionally well trained officers.
- Recruitment of professional teachers and officers with relevant academic qualifications, relevant skill, intelligence and training needed to plan and discharge the essential services in the schools and the offices.
- Sustenance of well motivated employees for effective productivity.
- Provision of conducive office room accommodation and workplace environment that are secure and safe, both in the schools and the offices.
OPERATIONAL STRATEGIES (SHORT, MEDIUM AND LONG TERM)
Medium Term Sector Strategy (MTSS) for the Lagos State Education Sector is based on the need to reform the State Budget and Planning process through the creation of coherent and Transparent Budget and Planning Frameworks focused on channelling resources to fund the states developmental needs in an efficient and apparent manner.
- Current State champion of the 2015 edition of Spelling Bee competition.
- Current champions in the GTB/Principals Football competition: Gold position in Female category, Silver in Male category and Bronze in Female category
- BRF 2015 Lagos State Schools Debate competition, Vetland Senior Grammar School came 1st while Egan Senior High School came 3rd. Meiran Community Senior Secondary School came 3rd in overall debate.
- Abesan Comprehensive Senior College received Gold Medal in Taekwondo female category and Bronze Medal in male category during IBILE GAMES AWARD 2015.
- Odueke, A. K. (Miss) came 1st runner up in Multi choice Creative Teachers Award held on 12th March, 2015.
- Installation and equipping of prefab portal cabin being used as ICT training centre for District staff and teachers.
- Construction of four 5 seaters concrete benches in all schools being used by students as reading corners.
- Creation of four EMIS centres equipped with computer sets, printers, internet facilities, generator, and power inverters (as backup) photocopiers etc to facilitate collection, collation, interpretation, storage and retrieval of data from schools.
- Renovation, upgrading and stocking of libraries at Abesan Senior High School and Ijaiye housing Estate Senior Secondary School for communal use by students in the complex.
- A dedicated cabin was constructed and used as Service Charter lodge within the District.
- Construction and distribution of 1000 units of dual seater students’ furniture to complement those supplied by the government.
- Active support and participation of NGOs, religious bodies, corporate organizations etc in school renovation and donation of educational materials, granting of scholarships, toilet blocks, trophies, sinking of boreholes, sports equipment, laboratory tools, public address systems etc.
- Collaborators included Old Students Associations, elected public office holders, Rotary Club, Parents Forum, MTN, Redeemed Christian Church, GT Bank, Etisalat, Private Schools etc
- Robust community Relations have always been fostered and engendered in compliance with Support Our School Initiative.
- 530 (Five Hundred and thirty) teachers were employed to replace the exited ones in 2013.
- A total number of 6,008 (Six Thousand and Eight) officers/teachers were trained by TEPO, PSSDC, EKO PROJECT etc in the last five years.
- A total number of 5,092 (Five Thousand and Ninety-Two) officers/teachers were promoted within the last four years.
- District I students emerged winners at the 2014 JETS competition and Project Exhibition held at Women Development Centre, Garki, Abuja.
- Student of Keke Senior High School came 1st in Etisalat under 17 Football Competition.
- 34(Thirty-four) Secondary Schools won 2014 Eko Project Governors Award. (19 (Nineteen) from Junior Schools and 15 (Fifteen) from Senior Schools.
- President Teachers’ Best Administrators Awards was won by Mrs. Aiyerin, A. A. Principal, Vetland Senior Grammar School in 2013.
- Government Junior High School, Agege came 1st in Power Kids Club competition while the Best student came from Ijaiye Ojokoro Junior Secondary School.
- 2014 GTBank/Principal’s Football Competition: Dairy Farm Senior Secondary School came 1st in male category. Government Senior College Agege came 1st in female category while Ikotun Senior High School came 2nd in female category.
- Best Nurtured Award in 2014 Tree Planting Competition was won by Education District I and Best Desk Officer was given to Mrs. O.O. Orundami of Education District I, Agege.
- Best Teacher Award and Best student Award in Tree Planting Competition was given to Keke Senior High School.
- 2014 National Productivity of Merit Award (NPOM) was given to Mr. Adebiyi, E.O. Principal Iju Junior Grammar School.
- Best Overall Performance for 4 (four) consecutive years among the 6 (Six) Districts.
- One of the pilot HR&A implementers and pioneer District to implement HR&A policies.
- Abibat Mogaji Millennium Senior Grammar School came 1st in National JETS Competition in 2014 and to represent Lagos State at the National Level.
- Establishment of Service Charter office in the District