Ensuring effective administration and management of schools under the control of Education District I. The District performs the following functions:
- Conducting regular inspection and monitoring of Post-Primary Schools in the District and to ensure that regular reports of such Inspections are submitted to the Tutor-General/Permanent Secretary of the District.
- Investigating any allegations made to it on the activities of students and staff members by heads of Post-Primary Schools in the District or by The Tutor-General/Permanent Secretary or by the Disciplinary Committee or by any individual and to make reports of findings in respect of any investigation available to the Tutor-General/Permanent Secretary for necessary action.
- Dealing with all matters relating to appointment, confirmation of appointment, promotion, transfer, dismissal and discipline of all teaching and non-teaching staff in Post-Primary Schools in the District.
- Ensuring staff Development, Training and Welfare of Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff in Post-Primary Schools in the District.
- The functions of the Finance Department shall be to deal with all Accounting matters in the District and to organize and co-ordinate disbursement of the Finance of financial expenditure including salaries from the Ministry to Post-Primary Schools in the District.
- The functions of Schools Administration Department shall include:
- Collating and preparing the schools under the control of the District for National and State Common Entrance Examination.
- Dealing with matters relating to Junior Secondary School placement and students’ Transfer Proposals within the District.
- Assisting in the co-ordination and conduct of Internal Examinations, JSCE and SSCE (WAEC and NECO) and in the implementation of special programmes in the District.
- Providing to students in schools under the control of the District necessary Career Guidance Counselling Services, and
- Researching and keeping necessary statistical records on relevant matters relating to management and administration of Schools, teaching and non-teaching staff of schools under the control of the District.
FUNCTIONS OF DEPARTMENTS
TUTOR GENERAL/ PERM SECRETARY
- Coordinating activities of the other five departments .
- Coordinating all students centered activities in all the Ninety-Nine Junior and Secondary Schools within the District.
- Monitoring activities of schools on regular basis
- Supervising Revenue Generation exercise with respect to use of school premises.
- Supervising regular and periodic Audit of staff in the Headquarters, and Teachers in the school.
- Ensuring that there is peace, discipline, and harmonious relationship within the District workforce.
- Ensuring that all monies earmarked for various activities in the departments are well utilized.
- Ensuring that there is proper maintenance of infrastructure within the office complex, and all schools.
- Ensuring that all Government policies are followed to the letter.
- Ensuring that up-to-date data on students, teachers, and other offices are maintained.
- Attending to all state matters as at when due.
- The Accounting Officer of Education District 1, Agege.
Coordinating all activities in all the Units under the TG/PS office and other assigned duties as directed by the TG/PS.
Press & Public Relations Office
- Liaising with the Public
- Giving effective Publicity to all the District activities
- Preparing letters, presentation, & reports
- Researching and presenting Internet Information
- Coordinating ceremonial events
- Providing information for publishing on the state website
- In charge of use of schools for revenue generation for State Government
- Processing of applications for use of school premises
- Monitoring use of schools
- Pre and post auditing of payment vouchers
- Verification of Assets
- Reconciliation of cash and bank balances
- Staff verification exercise
- Variable cards auditing
- Ensuring that salaries are well prepared and monitoring of HOP and DNP
- Auditing of schools running cost
- Auditing of revenue
- Checking of vote book for accuracy of figures
- Auditing of stores
- Appraising of the control systems – both operational and otherwise
- Coordinating each stage of the procurement process
- Implementing procurement policies and procedures for the District in line with its overall objectives and strategies by initiating the procurement process.
- Conducting market and statistical survey
- Ensuring the effective and efficient development of bids
- Ensuring the aggregation and categorization of all procurement request from all the departments/units in the district so as to ensure economic of scales.
- Supervising development of tenders
- Organizing community with bidders.
- Evaluation of bids
- Maintain frequent communication with Lagos State Public Procurement Agency on bid outcomes and recommendations
- Ensuring that the suppliers, contractors, and consultants are paid on time.
ADMINSTRATION & HUMAN RESOURCES
Workforce Planning & Recruitment
- Job evaluation
- Job classification
- Workforce planning
Learning & Development
- Career development
- Career planning
- Talent management
- Confirmation of appointment
- Whistle blowing
- Sickness and medical
- Industrial relations
- Workplace assessments
- Health and safety
- Staff welfare
HR Measures & Accountability
- Payroll verification
- Salary reviews
- Gender and social inclusions
- Key performance indicators
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Employee surveys
- In charge of general administration
- Advising on general administrative matter
- Preparing and approving minutes of admin meetings
- Supervising and managing junior officers officers
- Collating, sorting and analyzing data about admin processes
- Preparing statutory and periodic reports
- Taking responsibility for administrative development planning
- Coordinating project management
- Assisting in the formulation, execution and review of admin policies and processes
- Setting of internal operating standard
- Scheduling management task
- Providing support for daily executive duties
- Handling correspondence
- Screening, monitoring, recording and tracking internal/external MDA correspondenc
- Registry management
- Preparing annual estimate of office expenditure
- Provision of offices for all staffs
- Ensuring a clean and secure office environment
- Ensuring availability of adequate lighting, water, email, fax, computer etc
- Ensuring availability of stationery and adequate photocopying service/facilities
- Record of service
- Mail management
- Making submission and preparing draft letter on specific matters
- Supervising and managing junior officers
- Supervising WASSCE and BECE
- Distribution of science materials (practical)
Coordinating of LASGEMS activities in schools
Guidance & Counselling
- Orientation programme for new counselors
- Career programme & seminar
- Administration of all and aptitude test to JSS students
- Leadership training programmes for prefect elects
- Primary six placement & SS 1 placement
- Screening test into SS III
- Reports writing & secretariat
EMIS & EKO Project
- Screening of School SIP
- Monitoring of grant implementation in schools
- Monitoring of teaching learning processing schools
- Preparation of all payment vouchers
- Upkeep of vote book.
- Preparation of monthly revenue, expenditure, & returns to MEPB.
- Posting of entries into vote book
- Upkeep of payment vouchers
Financial Information System
- Upload of all district transactions into Oracle data base
- Electronic reconciliation for the release of monthly running cost.
- Preparation of Payment vouchers for retired staff whose salary or other arreas were not paid before their retirement date.
- Preparation of five years’ salary progression and last pay certificate
Central Pay Office
- Writing of running cost, salaries, bulk release cheques.
- Payment of running cost and salaries.
- General Banking transactions involving cash movements
- Check & pass of payment vouchers before payment.
- Posting of running cost, salaries,
- Revenue cash books and Eko Projects.
- Reconciliation of all books of account
- Monitoring of banking activities Investigation of reconciled items.
- Preparation of variation computerization
- Correction of errors emanating from first run (payroll)
- Correction of salary errors (Bank, Bank name, Grade/level & step)
- Preparation of promotion Arrears of staff, Treatment of DNP, HOP.
- Preparation of payment vouchers for staff mistakenly off payroll
- Preparation of payment vouchers for retired staff whose salary or other arrears was not paid
- before their retirement date.
- Preparation of five years’ salary progression and last pay certificate.
CO-CURRICULAR SCIENCE & TECH
Science & Tech.
- Handling science & Jet Exhibition (at Zonal, District & state level)
- Festival of instructional materials.
- Handling of competition in Science subject (Chemistry, Physics, Biology at Zones, District & state level)
- Coordinating and organizing
- Mathematics competitions (Zonal, District & state level)
- Cowbell competitions (Zonal, District & state level)
- Jet Quiz competitions (Zonal, District & state level)
- Agricultural competitions
Sports /Health Mobilization Unit
- Handling GTB/Principals cup football competitions (Zonal, District & state level)
- Co-coordinating of inter-house house sports
- Coordinating NNPC/SHELL football competitions
Vocational /Food Vendor /Competitions Unit
- Supervising activities of vocational training skills acquisition in 3 zones
- Handling activities in BRF Quiz competitions.
- Annual Merit Award competitions.
- Handling spelling Bee competitions (Zonal, District & state level)
- Coordinating JAM FEAST competitions
- Festival of arts & culture
- Coordinating activities of uniformed/voluntary organization
- Monitoring of NYSC corps members community project in schools